Re: [Usability] Closing windows with doubleclick

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Corey Burger wrote:

> Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 11:59:37 -0800
> From: Corey Burger <corey burger gmail com>
> To: usability gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Usability] Closing windows with doubleclick
>
> On 3/15/06, Joachim Noreiko <jnoreiko yahoo com> wrote:
> >
> > --- Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie> wrote:
> > > I'm a sucker for consistency, despite some of the
> > > comments in the bug
> > > report I figure if everyone else is doing it Gnome
> > > probably should too.
> > > We shouldn't be Lemmings and blindly follow what
> > > everyone else is doing
> > > but if we are going to be different we should have a
> > > good reason for it,
> > > and the burden of proof should be on those who want
> > > to block this feature.
> >
> > I understand the arguments against, and I think they
> > are valid.
> <snip>
>
> Basically, I think we should not implement this for a number of reasons:
> 1. User click everywhere
> 2. Users like to doubleclick
> 3. The consequences of closing can be grave

Examples please?  Gnome applications preferably.

> 4. Closing is a not a recoverable action

Please back up that assertion.  The point I made in my previous mail was
that a good application would warn you if you had any unsaved data.
Increasinly applications will remember window position and other state
information.  (The request is for close not kill or force quit.)

I am sure this could be done if people really wanted to do it.

Also if we are so worried about users accidentally closing windows and if
it is as dangerous as others claim why is a non-destructive action like
Maximize put right beside the close button?  (There should be some dead
space between close and maximize, but maybe that is simply an issue with
the default Clearlooks theme.)

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org