Re: [Usability] Copy & paste problem

On Wed, 2006-28-06 at 15:02 -0500, Alex Mauer wrote:
> Joachim Noreiko wrote:
> > This is true -- however, the existence of the PRIMARY
> > system does have an impact on users, because across
> > all GTK application windows, there can be only one
> > selection. This breaks users' expectations of what an
> > application is, because something they do in one
> > window can affect the state of selection in another.
> >
> > There's a bug open for this, but most solutions
> > suggested so far are looking at ways to highlight the
> > selection considered for PRIMARY in some way, and
> > nothing proposed so far is entirely satisfactory.
>
> Has it been proposed that PRIMARY holds the most recent selection, but
> making a new selection does not deselect the previous one?  This seems
> to be the closest match to expectations, while keeping interference
> between PRIMARY and clipboard to a minimum.

What you're saying is that PRIMARY should hold the second most recent
selection (saying this because you say that it should hold the most
recent selection but if you selection something that is no longer the
most recent selection)? If this is the case than this behaviour is not
necessarily desired, because if I select a URL and then open a new tab
in epiphany, there is no URL so, I'd just place the cursor at the URL
bar and want to paste the _most_ recent selection, rather then the
second most recent one. However, if I wanted to go to that URL from the
current tab, then I'd want to paste the second most recent selection
since when I click the URL bar the current URL will be selected.

-Gezim