Re: [Usability] Chabada's Suggestions

But OpenOffice and AbiWord open my Word documents fine which have patents. It is as essential to a home user to have working multimedia playback as a business user having the ability to open documents.

On 6/26/06, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt myrealbox com> wrote:
On Jun 26, 2006, at 7:49 PM, Joachim Noreiko wrote:
> --- Reinout van Schouwen <reinouts gnome org> wrote:
>> You are assuming that people read such messages. In reality,
>> unfortunately, they don't.
>
> Yes, they often don't. But have to assume they do and plan our UI
> around that assumption. Otherwise we'd have no messages at all, and
> probably no user documentation either.

That's a long-term goal to work towards: alerts replaced by bug fixes
and better design, and "user documentation" replaced by helpful help
and better design.

But that's not the issue here. The issue is, given that there is an
error alert, which alert text is better: "Nautilus could not open the
file because the filetype is unknown", or "&operatingsystem; cannot
play MP3 files, because some countries allow software patents and Free
Software cannot pay patent licenses".

--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/