Re: [Usability] Use of C-PageUp/Down to move between tabs

On 7 Jun 2006, at 23:55, Bill Wohler wrote:

I think it is common to use C-PageUp and C-PageDown to move between
tabs (for example, Galeon). Is this true?

The latest version of GnuCash has tabs, and I'd like to be able to use
keyboard navigation to move between them. Note that the tabs have
different views using different GTK widgets. Currently, some of the
tabs, such as the account tree view, allow C-M-PageUp and
C-M-PageDown.

Should the developers override the GtkTreeView widget so that
C-PageUp and C-PageDown move between the tabs? Should this widget be
fixed so that these keystrokes move between tabs by default? Or,
something else entirely?

Well, Ctrl-Alt-PgUp/PgDn is the documented[1] alternative for places that Ctrl-PgUp/PgDn doesn't/can't work (i.e. because of the focused control using Ctrl-PgUp/PgDn itself). Unless we can come up with a plan for avoiding the collisions that require the use of Alt in some situations, I'd recommend sticking with the current consistent-if-a- little-clunky behaviour, rather than overriding it in some places but (inevitably) not others.

Cheeri,
Calum.

[1] http://www.gnome.org/learn/access-guide/latest/ keynav-23.html#keynav-33
mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Team