[Usability] GEdit, Leafpad and Office Suites

Dear Community,

With regard to text editors, I believe the approach employed by KDE, of having
different text editors for different audiences, has significant merit.
Although all text editors are primarily aimed at the input and manipulation
of text, there is such a great variation between what is required by a coder,
scripter or other people who undertake a great deal of data manipulation and
those who want a basic utility for jotting down information and so on.

There is already a good and extremely popular basic text editor tool developed
for GNOME called Leafpad.  It would be good to see this included in the core
of GNOME.  Development effort could then be invested in making GEdit into a
tool that is approximately the equivalent of Kate.  The user needs of two
extremely diverse audiences could the be met.

At the moment, I think it would be fair to say that GEdit does not really meet
anyone's requirements.  It lacks block-selection, good syntax highlighting
and numerous other features needed by coders yet it is not fast and simple
enough for low-end users.

I am also in agreeance with the previous poster who referred to Lotus
Smartsuite.  This was definitely by far the most usable suite I ever
encountered.  The interface was incredibly elegant.

I definitely think that Calum's people should investigate and research this
office suite further as there are lessons regarding the user interface that
could be applied to Star Office/OpenOffice.org