Re: [Usability] MOTD Not Displayed; Column View for Nautilus; File Manipulation Tool; Browser Spell Checking

On Tuesday 10 January 2006 23:48, Kalle Vahlman wrote:
> On 1/11/06, weibchen cosmopod com <weibchen cosmopod com> wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I have a few suggestions I would like to raise that would possibly make
> > GNOME more usable.
> >
> > 1.  Currently, the MOTD (Message of the Day) is not displayed upon
> > logging into GNOME.  As Linux purports to be a networked, multi-user
> > system, this needs to be amended.  A function for root to turn this on
> > and off as required would be great.
>
> Add
>
>   zenity --info --text="`cat /etc/motd `"
>
> to user's session. Done. ;)

Thanks for this answer. Do you think it should be activated by default, or
have a graphical configuration in the longer term, though?

> > 2.  I really like the spatial navigation mode of Nautilus and strongly
> > feel that this should remain the default.   However, I am aware of the
> > controversy this has generated.  For  those preferring file browser mode,
> > has a Mac OS X style "column" view been considered, whereby, when
> > navigating the directory structure, each subdirectory "spills out" into
> > the next column to the left, pushing the oldest column off screen?  I am
> > sorry that I cannot describe this more clearly but I am sure that those
> > familiar with OS X will know what I mean.
>
> The pathbar in the browser mode implements a somewhat similar
> functionality, though it doesn't show the folders at the same time.

Yes, I know about this and I quite like it.  Perhaps it is easier than the
Apple way.  Maybe a usability stud should be undertaken comparing our way
with Apple's.

> > 3.  You may find this suggestion a little controversial but can I suggest
> > that, whilst we retain Nautilus for file navigation, a second tool for
> > advanced file manipulation also be built.  I envisage that Nautilus would
> > still be used by the majority of people the majority of the time for all
> > of the functions it is currently needed for.
>
> [snip power-user-file-manager-wishlist]
>
> Indeed some renaming utility could be useful (image galleries belong
> to image mangement utilities like f-spot IMO), as would many others.
> There's the nautilus scripting framework to implement these, so I
> don't think a complete power tool would be necessary.

Using plugs ins and scripts may be a good way forward.  I have mainly been
using default Nautilus, so I do not know what is out there.  Do you think
most users are motivated to download scriptsnot included in their default
distributions?  I often think about this, particularly for those on slower
network connections or lacking any internet capacity (and there are still
many such people out there.)

> --
> Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi
> Powered by http://movial.fi
> Interesting stuff at http://syslog.movial.fi

One more request I forgot to mention the other day:  In Evolution's "To:"
address field, it would be good if history of previous contacts were retained
in a dropdown list.

For example, in the past I have written to kate linton somewhere com and
kay morgan randomaddress net   These have not been added to my contacts.

As I type "Ka" into the "To:" field on my new e.-mail, it would be great if
these two names were to appear in the drop-down.  It makes text entry quicker
and reduces the chance of typos.

The current version of KMail has this functionality and it certainly enhnaces
usability.