Re: [Usability] Menu item in SJ

On Sat, 2006-02-18 at 18:51 +0100, Christian Neumair wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 18.02.2006, 11:26 +0000 schrieb Joachim Noreiko:
> > Is that the service set in the CD Database preferences
> > tool?
> >
> > This is an issue I've been meaning to raise after I
> > noticed it during the UI review.
> >
> > We have a preferences tool that claims to set CD
> > database preferences system-wide.
> > But very few audio apps use it -- someone said only
> > the CD player app does.
> >
> > So we're basically misleading the user, and we have a
> > largely useless prefs tool.
> >
> > I don't know enough about the subject to have an
> > opinion on the solution, but we should do one of:
> > a) remove the prefs tool completely
> > b) fix it so it's not pants and get all relevant apps
> > to use it
> >
> > Leaving it as it is makes *us* look pants :(
>
> Classic CDDB databases and CDDB itself suffers from fundamental
> shortcomings, as pointed out by Jamie Zawinski [1]. MusicBrainz really
> seems to be a better alternative. I'm strongly in favor ofditching the
> current CDDB preferences dialog.

It's still used for gnome-cd. Until we have a replacement CD player
integrated in the Desktop (right now we still have Sound-juicer, which
has that functionality more for double-checking that you're ripping the
right track than anything else, and gnome-cd), the dialogue should be
folded back in the program itself, rather than pollute the prefs menu.

--
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>