Re: [Usability] Menu item in SJ

Am Samstag, den 18.02.2006, 11:26 +0000 schrieb Joachim Noreiko:
> Is that the service set in the CD Database preferences
> tool?
>
> This is an issue I've been meaning to raise after I
> noticed it during the UI review.
>
> We have a preferences tool that claims to set CD
> database preferences system-wide.
> But very few audio apps use it -- someone said only
> the CD player app does.
>
> So we're basically misleading the user, and we have a
> largely useless prefs tool.
>
> I don't know enough about the subject to have an
> opinion on the solution, but we should do one of:
> a) remove the prefs tool completely
> b) fix it so it's not pants and get all relevant apps
> to use it
>
> Leaving it as it is makes *us* look pants :(

Classic CDDB databases and CDDB itself suffers from fundamental
shortcomings, as pointed out by Jamie Zawinski [1]. MusicBrainz really
seems to be a better alternative. I'm strongly in favor ofditching the
current CDDB preferences dialog.

[1] http://www.jwz.org/doc/cddb.html

--
Christian Neumair <chris gnome-de org>