Re: [Usability] Pathbuttons-Field

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006, Thorsten Wilms wrote:

> Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 17:41:24 +0100
> From: Thorsten Wilms <t_w_ freenet de>
> To: usability gnome org
> Subject: [Usability] Pathbuttons-Field
>
> Hello!
>
> With the file dialog issues coming up again and again, I suddenly
> had this idea to combine a textfield with path-buttons:

I'll try not to comment on this discussion other than to say I think many
users will need to learn about Paths and the "trail of breadcrumbs" path
buttons do them no favours in the long run.

Also in recent use I have noticed that with long folder names the file
chooser dialog is very cramped and I only get to see a button for the
current folder and arrrows nullifying any of the benefits of the system.

[<] [ My big long folder name ] [>]

I'd be far better off with an small UP button (possibly one including a
drop down to allow access to futher up the folder tree).

I'm glad we experimented but I think we will eventually need to reconsider
and drop the whole path button idea.

I'll finish with a link to recent discussion where I asked Havoc about
whether or not to expose paths:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2006-February/msg00064.html

"What I'm saying is that right and wrong here is 100% relative to the
decision on specifically what GNOME is doing for specifically which
users."

"If you debate some microdetail like whether to expose paths before
making a decision on who and what, you're just going to waste your time
and go in pointless circles."

I don't disagree that we need to define our audience to make progress but
Havoc and others have been mentioning personas for quite a while and no
one has yet had the time or expertise to adequately decide who our
target audience or audiences actually are.

> I would like feedback and suggestions on possible next steps.

Don't let me stop you from trying to improve the details of how it does
work, despite my pessimism for the general idea no harm in improving what
we've got.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org