Re: [Usability] Pathbuttons-Field

On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 01:13:05PM -0500, Liam R E Quin wrote:

> > Very interesting, I like the idea. Concerning further steps, I'd really
> > appreciate if such a field had an autocompletion (with a list of possible
> > choices) in some form; I miss it very much in a current address entry. Of
> > the two versions presented, I prefer the upper one.

Like I said, for the file dialogs autocompletion would be either
offered in a pop-up like browser adress fields do, or a list
below would be filtered to only contain possible completions.
I think I prefer the second option to avoid a new element suddenly
popping up.

> The lower one is very like an experimental feature that was prototyped
> for the open look ui some 10 years ago or more; initial usability
> tests were mentioned by Kevin Mullet and Darrell Sano in "Designing
> Visual Interfaces" -- such a change would need to be pervasive to
> feel part of Gnome, I think.

Hmm, a bit more info on that would be nice.

The only places I know of where the path-buttons are use are the file
dialogs and nautilus-browser. Oh, and current CVS of om-synth. No
part of Gnome, no release, very specific.
One could consider to use path-buttons in a terminal :)

---
Thorsten Wilms