Re: [Usability] Pathbuttons-Field

On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 20:59 +0300, Alexey Rusakov wrote:
> Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> > With the file dialog issues coming up again and again, I suddenly
> > had this idea to combine a textfield with path-buttons:
> >
> > http://xs67.xs.to/pics/06066/text-path_a_b.png
> >
> > The file list below it should be filtered for the string as it's
> > entered, or browser style autocompletion could be shown attached
> > below the field.
> >
> > Entering / after the name of an existing dir would turn that part
> > of the path into a button. "../" (maybe even "cd ../") could also
> > work.

Interesting
[...]

> Very interesting, I like the idea. Concerning further steps, I'd really
> appreciate if such a field had an autocompletion (with a list of possible
> choices) in some form; I miss it very much in a current address entry. Of
> the two versions presented, I prefer the upper one.

The lower one is very like an experimental feature that was prototyped
for the open look ui some 10 years ago or more; initial usability
tests were mentioned by Kevin Mullet and Darrell Sano in "Designing
Visual Interfaces" -- such a change would need to be pervasive to
feel part of Gnome, I think.

Liam