Re: [Usability] Go/Send buttons

Soeren Sandmann wrote:
> Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt myrealbox com> writes:
>
>> On the other hand, every time someone clicks the Go button just
>> because it's there, the obvious thing to do, they take two or three
>> seconds longer than they would by pressing Enter. (And unlike most
>> mouse vs. keyboard fights, the mouse users can't use the time-to-mouse
>> to think about what to do next, because this is a Web browser or an
>> instant messenger where they're going to need to wait several seconds
>> for the result anyway.)
>
> One time where the go button might be useful is when you are pasting
> an url into the location. In that case there is no keyboard-to-mouse
> transition.

Finally someone spotted this obvious appliance for "go" button. Writing URL
addresses in "location entry" is anything but faster (especially for not
tech-savvy people, which are probably the main target of this mailing
list), than copy/paste it there. This is of course after using mouse in
copy/paste action.

> Not that I'm arguing for keeping the go button.

I've got Opera 8.51 (sorry guys..) and there is this "paste and go" option
from right click on location entry menu. Maybe this would solve the
problem. Most people use right click menu to copy/paste (just from my
observations), there they could "discover" this feature. There is also
"ctrl+d" shortcut for this action for those, who would like to more
productive/less mouse abusive. Then tho "go" button could go :). But still
i think it's better idea to keep it to be more friendly for people not yet
accustomed to computer world. For "power users" decent level of
customizability is usually what suffice.

 GNOME has the utterly
> stupid middle-click paste feature which means for most users, that the
> 'select something, then paste to replace it' idiom simply doesn't
> work. So pasting URLs is likely not very common.

How would the middle-click "buffer" know, that the last marking is for
replacement only, not to be remembered in order to paste it somewhere else
? I definitely wouldn't call it "stupid feature", I find it most useful.

greetings
tj