Re: [Usability] Go/Send buttons

Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt myrealbox com> writes:

> On the other hand, every time someone clicks the Go button just
> because it's there, the obvious thing to do, they take two or three
> seconds longer than they would by pressing Enter. (And unlike most
> mouse vs. keyboard fights, the mouse users can't use the time-to-mouse
> to think about what to do next, because this is a Web browser or an
> instant messenger where they're going to need to wait several seconds
> for the result anyway.)

One time where the go button might be useful is when you are pasting
an url into the location. In that case there is no keyboard-to-mouse
transition.

Not that I'm arguing for keeping the go button. GNOME has the utterly
stupid middle-click paste feature which means for most users, that the
'select something, then paste to replace it' idiom simply doesn't
work. So pasting URLs is likely not very common.

Soren