[Usability] Java Look and Feel Design Guidelines vs the HIG

I'm embarking on a new project using Java/Swing which is expected to
run in a GNU/Linux environment. I'm contemplating using the HIG
instead of the JLFDG as I've always done and using the GTK look and
feel rather than the default Swing look and feel. I'd be interested in
hearing your views on the pros and cons of both of these decisions.

Also, does that opinion change if the application is expected to run
on more than one platform (like Windows or Mac).

One last question: Since the development of the JLFDG seems to be dead
and the HIG community seems quite active and contains Sun members, are
there any thoughts about deprecating the JLFDG in favor of the HIG at
some time in the future?

--
Bill Wohler <wohler newt com>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD