Re: [Usability] Contribution

On 30 Aug 2006, at 13:30, Maxim Udushlivy wrote:
.
That is the problem: those checklists become constraints that hinder UI
innovation. As a programmer (artist to some extent) I want to learn
common sense principles that possibly would allow me to implement
interface in a more productive way than guidelines authors may think of
- and not to loose my personality by just following templates.

The HIG provides many of those principles too, and we actually made a point of putting them at the front of the document, rather than the back. Like many things in the HIG, it could do with a refresh, though.

Windows programmers manage to create successful applications without
guidelines.

Hardly.. the Windows guidelines are the thickest ones on my bookshelf:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ dnwue/html/welcome.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/Resources/windowsxp/default.mspx

I disagree with HIG existence (more below) - but I suppose
my opinion is not very important here ;)

If you remember the mess GNOME was becoming before the guidelines existed, your opinion may be a little different :)

So here is that principle that I think make Google successful: reduce
number of UI controls and expand application functionality while
preserving UI/functionality coherency. I think that consumer electronics
inherently follow this principle (TV, video recorders, phones, etc.)

Yet video recorders and phones have historically had some of the worst UIs imaginable... so there must be more to it than that.

Some thoughts about being a Gnome application...
I remember there was such a thing on Windows as application
certification. Perhaps it was not very useful on Windows but Gnome may
adopt this process.

It's already being discussed; feel free to add your thoughts to http://live.gnome.org/GnomeCertification.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Team