Re: [Usability] Using Control-Esc and Windows keys to access the start menu

Shaun McCance wrote:
Being able to use the keyboard for all operations is
absolutely a necessity.  Whether or not there should
be a keyboard shortcut (and there is one, Alt+F1) is
not the issue.  Whether it should be Ctrl+Esc (as well
as Super, as well as Alt+F1) is the question.
Yes, you are right.
You stated earlier: "I have not seen anyone argueing
that very basic mouse operations should be different."
Surely you see the difference in *intuitiveness* with
the how you mouse to the menu.  A keyboard shortcut
is just an abitrary decision of keys.  How else would
anybody possibly propose to make the mouse work?
You are right, that was perhaps a stupid argument on my side.
I don't think we should be bending over backwards to
mimic other operation systems.  There are certainly
many cases where common behavior is beneficial,
Beeing able to at all start using the system is one in my opinion.
and
plenty of cases where we can ease transition costs
by implementing learning paths that cater to users
of other systems.  But these things do always come
with a price, and we have to decide if the price is
worth it.
Will not then all the normal questions apply:

- Price / benefits for whom?
- Long / short term advantages / disadvantages?
- How does it fit long / short term goals?
- Reactions from current user base?
- Reactions from possible user base?
- Willingness from developers to develop and install changes? (After all they belong to current user base - and are of course then biased ;-) Nothing bad about that, but it must be taken into account, both from those making a proposal (like me) and from the developers. Otherwise there may be an unsolveable conflict just we see things from different sides.)

None of these questions can be answered fully as far as I understand it. A lot of feelings will be involved. Again, this is not bad, but must be noted.