Re: [Usability] Using Control-Esc and Windows keys to access the start menu

Shaun McCance wrote:
Here's a list of the keybindings (and I refer to the Windows key the more
generic "Super" key)

Super  		to open up the main menu*, also
Ctrl+Esc
Super+E 	to open the File Manager
Super+M 	to Minimize All, Show Desktop
Super+M+Shift 	to Maximize All
Super+F 	Search/Find tool

I think there may have been additional keybindings added in
since Windows XP.
Super+U 	Utilities manager, a program to turn on accessibility
software like the
Mangifier, Narrator (text to speech) or on screen keyboard.

Super+L 	to Lock Workstation
(I'm finding it mildly annoying since I have hit this accidentally a
couple of times.  It is still nowhere near as annoying as the stupid
keybinding to switch keyboard layouts since it took me years to
discover what was causing that bit of evil.)

That's eight keyboard shortcuts being taken away
from applications.  One of those uses Ctrl, which
we try very hard to let applications use.  You'll
notice nearly all of our current global keyboard
shortcuts use Alt.
I think a lot of users would benefit from Alans proposal (and I guess Alt+F1 shoudl be added too for the main menu?). I wonder if it is very important that those keybindings are beeing taken away? Since I do not know Gnome yet I would like you to ask you a bit more in detail:

- With Super do you mean what I call "windows keys"?
- What kind of applications actually use Super?
- Are those applications perhaps mainly programming IDE/editors?
- Can an application override the global binding of super?

I can see the need for super in certain applications (like Emacs) but in the case of MS Windows I use the windows keys inside Emacs as Emacs-meta. Outside the windows keys have their normal bindings. That arrangement is quite good for me since inside Emacs I use meta very often (of course).

What I am trying to say is that for a user with special needs such arrangement might be good enough.

I got some more ideas about how to solve this, but I will wait until I have got some respons on this.