Re: [Usability] Using Control-Esc and Windows keys to access the start menu

Alan Horkan wrote:
Ubuntu does make some customisations beyond stock Gnome so do keep that in
mind.  I am very displeased at how they removed the Run Dialog (they hid
it away making it totally undiscoverable but if you are lucky enough to
arleady know Alt+F2 it is still available).
Did you talk to them about that? What reactions did you get?

In ubuntu if you go to System, Preferences, Keyboard shortcuts you can
reassign the shortcut for the Application menu to be Ctrl+Escape or the
the Super key (aka Windows Key).  I was not able to add the menu menu
applet and assign the keybinding to it instead.

There are all kinds of things we could do the same and I personally prefer
it when developers embrace and extend and can confidently say they are
doing "the same or better, not just different".
I think I agree. Is there something like a command file or small programs that can automatically make MS Windows like settings for you for more easy migration and which lessens the difficulties with using both Gnome and MS Windows?

Things are going to be different, and some have argued that trying too
hard to copy windows only makes the differences more painfully obvious.
I have seen such argumentation but I do not believe that could be applied to simple cases like this. Beeing able to use Ctrl-Esc or the windows keys to access the start menu is nearly as basic as beeing able to use the mouse to do it. I have not seen anyone argueing that very basic mouse operations should be different.

Sometimes it is better for Gnome to be interntally consistent and
predictable within itself rather than copying.  However if enough people
wanted to we could probably have it both ways and make it easier to do
what you want.
Yes, I can see the problem. However if we want people to move to GNU/Linux with Gnome I believe we must go into that pain. Staying out of it may mean stagnation.

Well, and that the dual boot that came with Ubuntu trashed my MS Windows
partition.

Backups are the only answer, depending on your circumstances either Ubuntu
or Windows could have been the problem.  I also had to learn the hard way
how easy it is to shoot onself in the foot with partition tools and more.
Fortunately I did it on a freshely installed MS Windows pc. I just hate wasting time installing things. It should just work.

I would strongly advise you to try out VMWare Player, by far the safest
way I can think of to try distribtions like Ubuntu.
Thanks, I did not know it was free now.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
Thanks for your nice answer.