Re: [Usability] Using Control-Esc and Windows keys to access the start menu

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006, Lennart Borgman wrote:

> Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 01:52:02 +0200
> From: Lennart Borgman <lennart borgman 073 student lu se>
> To: Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie>
> Cc: Usability gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Usability] Using Control-Esc and Windows keys to access the
>     start menu
>
> Alan Horkan wrote:
> > Ubuntu does make some customisations beyond stock Gnome so do keep that in
> > mind.  I am very displeased at how they removed the Run Dialog (they hid
> > it away making it totally undiscoverable but if you are lucky enough to
> > arleady know Alt+F2 it is still available).

> Did you talk to them about that? What reactions did you get?

Not yet.  It would take a substantial amount of time to write up my
reasoning and I just haven't gotten around to it.

> > There are all kinds of things we could do the same and I personally prefer
> > it when developers embrace and extend and can confidently say they are
> > doing "the same or better, not just different".

> I think I agree. Is there something like a command file or small
> programs that can automatically make MS Windows like settings for you
> for more easy migration and which lessens the difficulties with using
> both Gnome and MS Windows?

Not sure exactly what you mean.  Installing Wine and some equivalent to
DOS might be an option and allow you to then install windows applications.

Generally people will make an effort to address any problems you have but
the hard part is figuring out the underlying problem beyond being
uncomfortable with doing things differently (and I'm talking about my own
experience here).

It would be rather nice to be able to flick a switch and enable windows
like keybindings for things like Show Desktop, Run Dialog, File manager
since old habits are hard to break.  (Super + M, R, and E respectively.)
It may already be possible but it can be messy to setup multiple
keybindings for the same thing.

I always try to use the defaults but I do still prefer having a main menu
on the bottom left, and being able to maximize windows so that the Close X
is flush against the top right corner.  The two panel layout is an
interesting idea but until it can be made to work more like Mac OS it
doesn't feel quite right to me.

> > I would strongly advise you to try out VMWare Player, by far the safest
> > way I can think of to try distribtions like Ubuntu.

> Thanks, I did not know it was free now.

> Thanks for your nice answer.

I do what I can.  Glad to be of help.

Sincerely