[Usability] Feature request: Workspace customization

Hi,

Is there a way to customize each workspace individually?

I have found that you can assign a custom label to each workspace, but
what I would like in addition is:

1. A panel applet that shows the name of the current workspace. (Yes I
know that you can configure the workspace switcher to show the labels,
but that is not what I want.)

2. To have the background of certain components, like the desktop, to
have an individual setting per workspace.

I often have many workspaces (like 2x4) and use specific workspaces for
specific tasks as a convention that works for me. It would help me
orienting myself if it would be more visible what workspace I am in.

Please forgive me if this is not the right forum for an email like this.