Desktop Publishing [Re: [Usability] GNOME and Hardware Detection]

Sender is not on the mailing list, use CC (but dont CC me, I am on the
list).

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, Sarah Berry wrote:

> Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 21:51:24 -0500
> From: Sarah Berry <sberry grex cyberspace org>
> To: usability gnome org
> Subject: [Usability] GNOME and Hardware Detection
>
> Hello THere,

[...]

> On an unrelated matter, I think perhaps starting small is the best
> apporoach for DTP,

Those who choose to develop Desktop Publishing applications will be the
ones who make the decisions.  Given the huge head start Scribus has I
expect any developers interested in Desktop publishing will try to carve
out a different niche.

I hope people will take an interest in making it possible to cleanly
integrate QT applications in Gnome so no one feels the need to reinvent
Scribus.

> competed successfully against Microsoft Publisher for home users and
> that is a gap we need to exploit on the Linux desktop.  We have a superb

I think some users are forcing OpenOffice to do these kinds of tasks for
better or worse.  There are other applications like glabels which have
very specific purposes.  http://glabels.sourceforge.net/

All we can do is wait and see (or get coding and help make it happen).

Sincerely

Alan Horkan