Re: [Usability] GNOME and Hardware Detection

--- Sarah Berry <sberry grex cyberspace org> wrote:

> Whilst hardware detection is beyond the scope of
> this forum, cnetralising all hardware in a
> infomration program like KInfoCenter is extremely
> convenient nad provides a wealth of knowledge in a
> central location.  A dial-up tool that automatically
> can find and configure modems correctly would
> greatly streamline set-up for less proficient users
> (obviously technical hurdles to overcome, though)
> and a more flexible configuration tool like KPPP
> would be great.

I have thought of adding a section to the User Guide
on Connecting to the Internet. It seems to me that
this is one of the early things a gnome user will want
to do.

Unfortunately, with GNOME currently, I would have to
write something like the following:

= How to connect to the internet
== Router
If you have a router, just plug it in, set your
ethernet to DHCP, and go.

== Broadband
If you have a broadband modem, you need to go hunting
for the drivers, and then run a root command in
terminal each time you want to connect. GNOME will
give no indication of whether or not you are
connected.

== Dial-up
You're kidding, right?

------

What I think GNOME needs is a panel app / notification
app (yes, I know the notification area is a dirty
word) that has three commands: connect to the
internet, disconnect, configure. This app should work
irrespective of the connection method: that's what
configuration is for.