Re: [Usability] GDM

The reasons for the way gdm is aren't usability ones, but technical
ones.  It is possible that the way the user authenticates isn't through
a password.  It could be a fingerprint, or pretty much anything, and
this is all decided by PAM based on the username.

I don't know the exact details, but that's the core reason it is the way
it is.

-Rob