Re: [Usability] Default document formats

On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 09:45 +0100, Phil Bull wrote:
> Obviously there will be cases where the defaults should be different; if
> your organisation has switched to OO.org from Corel, you may want to use
> the Corel formats by default. So it might be an idea to have
> configurable defaults. But there's no reason to show ~20 document
> formats by default, ~15 of which most users will never ever use!

Sorry for entering late to the thread; I should have posted before that
it seems most of you are missing some useful bits of information:

a) This is configurable in every OO.o version after 1.1 (and possibly
before, but not sure). Tools|Options...|Load-Save|General shows you a
list of oo apps and the default save format for each one (the option
names may be slightly different, I just translated them from my spanish
OO.o)

b) There is a patch around that shows a dialog the first time you launch
OO.o, asking if you prefer the native format for saving, or the
mIcrosoft office formats. It explains quite clearly the consequences of
each choice. After the user selection, it preconfigures the option I
mentioned above. Mandrake/Mandriva has included this patch with their
OO.o packages for at least a year from now.

c) OO.o is not affiliated or included with gnome. If you want to change
the defaults or add a patch, you should contact the OO.o developer team.
Or contact the package mantainer for your distribution. There's not much
we can do at the gup.

> There are very few format choosers out there that I would consider to be
> easy to use. Just take a look at the GIMP's - there are almost 40
> options! Hands up who's ever saved a 'C Source Code Header' from the
> GIMP...

A little OT, but i have :)

Cheers,
	D.