Re: [Usability] Bluescreens

--- Hynek Hanke <hanke brailcom org> wrote:
> No!
>
> CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE is useful also when
> 	* there is no graphic output on the display
> 	* graphic output on the display is messed up
> 		(bad resolution etc.)
> 	* Gnome is in some wird state when it is not even
> 	  	able to display a dialog
> etc. etc. Actually I don't find much use for this
> when Gnome
> is still able to display a dialog...

Ubuntu Guide mentions several.

> In these situations, I certainly don't want to have
> to figure
> out what keys and in which order I need to press
> after
> CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE so that I click the ``Ok'' button
> in
> a dialog I don't see.

True -- there is nothing worse than having to use the
OS 'blind', like trying to remember where to click the
mouse on a corrupted screen.

But doesn't it say something about the OS that we have
to consider those situations?

(And a well-designed dialog box would map the return
key to the main action button, and the main action
button would be 'restart X' with 'cance;' as
secondary)

Anyway, I found in the Ubuntu Guide that the shortcut
can be disabled. So I'll do that on my system :)