Re: [Usability] Re: Bluescreens

Joachim Noreiko wrote:

I would rather not have to do that.
One of the great things about OS X is that
force-quitting an application doens't affect the
system as a whole. I can kill off a frozen app and
keep going.

By the way, here's something I've been thinking of
raising for a while -- shouldn't the key combination
that restarts X (CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE) show a
confirmation dialog first. It's a hard combination to
hit by accident, but it's a potentially destructive
action all the same.

If you hit the "close" button on a genuinely frozen app, metacity will kill it for you with a warning dialog.

We can't show a warning dialog since the X-server implements these key strokes and doesn't ask any other apps about it. Also, Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is designed to handle cases where the entire X-server is locked up; in these cases a warning dialog could only cause frustration and heartache.

-Rob