Re: [Usability] Media Controls

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005, Tim Steenvoorden wrote:

> Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 16:46:16 +0100
> From: Tim Steenvoorden <timlists lapis demon nl>
> To: Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie>
> Cc: usability gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Usability] Media Controls
>
> Op za, 29-10-2005 te 23:27 +0100, schreef Alan Horkan:
> > That would be great.  If testing shows this to be a better solution than
> > following what was recommended by the HIG then there would be good reason
> > to change the guidelines but in the meantime the default media player is
> > in conflict with the HIG and I think it is a failure of the HIG if
> > developer cannot be convinced to follow the standard first and then extend
> > it later after there is evidence to show they really have thought out a
> > better answer than whoever wrote the HIG.
> >
> > I realise I am being arguementative and it is great when developers try
> > out new ideas but I think Gnome would be a lot better if developers
> > embraced first and extended later (embrace the HIG, and embrace the
> > example of the media players in the mass market).
>
> I don't think it is really that hard to use separate "Play" and "Pause"
> items (like HIG says), but we can try.
>

> P.S. You've commented on every part of my mail, except on the things I
> really like to know:

;)

> * Is a "Control"-menu a good idea?

Grouping the control into a menu sounds like a good idea to me, logically
these tasks go together better than putting them anywhere else.

Totem has a lot of the Controls in the "Go" menu (and also Play in the
Movie menu)
Rhythmbox has them in Control menu as you already pointed out
Realplayer has a Play menu containing the various controls

I expect if you look at other applications you might find more example of
applications which group together the Controls even if they do not
necessarily use the top level menu you suggested.

>  * Should "Skip F/B" be in the menu?

Probably, I'm really not sure and I think it might vary depending on the
application.  I use next/fastforward more often than I use
skip/scan but I really do not have enough basis to exclude it
from the menus.

- Alan