Re: [Usability] Media Controls

Op za, 29-10-2005 te 21:15 +0100, schreef Bastien Nocera:
> Why is it bad exactly? Totem is a movie player, and can also play
> audio files. But it's mainly a movie player.

If Totem is a movie player, what's the "Playlist" for?

Op zo, 30-10-2005 te 00:29 +0100, schreef Bastien Nocera:
> The HIG says I'm OK:
> "If your application does not operate on documents, name this item for
> the type of object it displays. For example, many games should have a
> Game instead of a File menu. However, place the Quit menu item last on
> this menu nonetheless."

Images, spreadsheets, audio etc. all are documents. Why is a video not a
document?
So the "File"-menu relates to operations on the file, the go menu on
navigation inside the file. It doesn't matter of which type the file is.

> It says absolutely nowhere in the HIG that I should have a Stop button,
> and if the Stop button does absolutely nothing more than what's possible
> otherwise, what's the point?

Stop is a combination of "Pause" and "Go to begin of movie / playlist".
People are used to it: its on their CD-player, DVD-player, tape-recorder
etc. etc.

> As I've said a number of times, the HIG is only a guide. You can make
> HIG-compliant applications that will be unusable, and some applications
> that don't completely comply will be usable.
> I'm not trying to make things different just to be different, but all of
> them for a good reason.

The HIG is made to help developers making an *usable* application.
Calum, Seth and many many others has put a lot of research and
development in it.

--
Tim Steenvoorden <timlists lapis demon nl>