Re: [Usability] Re: Text wrapping in gedit

On 10/3/05, Paolo Borelli <pborelli katamail com> wrote:
> Il giorno dom, 02/10/2005 alle 21.13 -0400, michael chang ha scritto:
> > No, it's not, because if he switches it off once, he switches it off
> > forever for all documents except those he's turned it on or left it on
> > for.  This is the key difference.
> >

> Oops sorry, I missed this (it was two AM when I replayed)
>
> This may indeed be an interesting idea, though not without its
> drawbacks. Taking the decision just on the first file the user ever
> opens is a bit arbitrary... what if the guess was wrong? How can the
> user rectify the setting?

By reversing the decision... (e.g. re-checking it will make it on by
default for that document and all 'foreign' documents).

Although on futher inspection, this doesn't make sense if a user wants
to change the setting for every other file he opens and he never opens
the same file twice (is there even such a case example?).  Of course,
if you want to get into getting rid of inefficiencies...

You could also take nano's approach; users will always have word wrap
on, root will always have it off (but does root usually use X?); or
you can take the approach of some programs where there is no per-file
default, and it's either on or off for all files (e.g. like M$ windows
notepad).

--
~Mike
 - Just my two cents