Re: [Usability] Re: New "Add to panel" dialog

On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 14:55 +0100, Estradin Solaris wrote:

> Why not have two different kinds of panels? The "System Panel" (home of menu-applets, menus,
> system-wide notifications, etc...) and the "Desktop Panel" (home of
> app-switchers, window-switchers, app-launchers, desktop-switchers,
> etc, etc...). Maybe calling them both 'panels' would still be wrong,
> but you know what I mean. Anyway, maybe we would be sacrificing a bit
> of customisability (is that a word??), but it would make the user
> experience a bit more uniform... I don't know.

Well, that's kind of what we had in the GNOME 2.0 days, when we had a
'menu panel' (which could only go at the top of the screen, and always
had the Applications/Actions menus on it), and ordinary panels.

Admittedly there were no restrictions on what applets you could add to
which panel-- maybe that would have made the distinction clearer
(although I still suspect not).  But in general, people found the idea
of a panel that was similar-but-different to be confusing and
constraining.  Hence it was turned into an ordinary panel that you could
just add a 'menu applet' to, as most distros have done ever since.

> Anyway, about filing the bug... I'm ashamed to say this, but I'm
> rather new to the list and have never ever filed a bug on *anything*,
> so I would very thankfully accept any help.

First off you'll need a bugzilla account then-- head over to
http://bugzilla.gnome.org and click "Open a new bugzilla account" to set
one up.

Once your password has been mailed to you, go back to bugzilla.gnome.org
and click the "Simple bug assistant" link-- it should be reasonably
obvious what to do after that :)  But feel free to ask for help if it
isn't... if you know how to use IRC, you'll probably get the quickest
help there (on #gnome at irc.gnome.org).

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Group