Re: [Usability] Selection problems in List view

Il giorno gio, 12-05-2005 alle 16:48 +0200, Christian Neumair ha
scritto:

> > Also, in List view the "folder background" is inaccessible.
> > The only possible place to access it is past the bottom of the list,
> > but when the list is longer than the window, there isn't any empty
> > space there.
>
> Yes, this is a known issue. I'll try to work on it. It's been filed in
> bugzilla, although I can't find it at the moment.
> The proposed solution is to add an empty dummy row at the end of the
> list. Maybe we should even get a consistent solution into GTK+.

How about accepting "valid" mouse clicks only on file names (+ icons) in
list mode? If all other information (Size, Date, etc.) were to be
considered "equivalent" to the folder background, you'd be solving both
main problems of list view at the same time:

- you could draw boxes around file names to select them;

- you could right click everywhere, but on file names, to access the
context menu.

Of course I have no idea of how implementing this in GTK+ :) It is true,
however, that the current implementation of the list view is so limited
(for me) that I never use it; I wonder if other users feel like this.

Ciao

Roberto Rosselli Del Turco      roberto.rossellidelturco at unito.it
Dipartimento di Scienze         rosselli at ling.unipi.it
del Linguaggio                  Then spoke the thunder  DA
Universita' di Torino           Datta: what have we given?  (TSE)

  Hige sceal the heardra,     heorte the cenre,
  mod sceal the mare,       the ure maegen litlath.  (Maldon 312-3)