Re: [Usability] Selection problems in List view

Hi Turing,

Am Donnerstag, den 12.05.2005, 15:48 +0200 schrieb Turing Test:
> I have Nautilus configured into one-click mode, and this leads to
> several usability problems related to selection in "List view" mode.

Thanks for your efforts! A single-click investigation is definitly a
good thing :).

> In this mode, control-click on a selected item doesn't unselect it. So
> it's impossible to unselect all files, and very difficult to start a
> fresh new selection from scratch.

Sounds like a bug. You would expect that in both modes, ctrl-click
unselects the item under the mouse if it is selected, right? If so, I
can't reproduce it with Nautilus HEAD (which will eventually become
Nautilus 2.12). What Nautilus version are you on?

> There is only one workaround for this: right-click an item and press
> ESC to close the menu.

Eeek!

> What would you think of having a "Select" action in the command menu
> to alleviate this problem?

Sounds horrible, really. Why would we place something in the context
menu one can be achieved easily by left-clicking?

> Also, in List view the "folder background" is inaccessible.
> The only possible place to access it is past the bottom of the list,
> but when the list is longer than the window, there isn't any empty
> space there.

Yes, this is a known issue. I'll try to work on it. It's been filed in
bugzilla, although I can't find it at the moment.
The proposed solution is to add an empty dummy row at the end of the
list. Maybe we should even get a consistent solution into GTK+.

> I would also ask your opinions on the validity of a "single-click
> actions" mode. In a perfect world, mouses would have two buttons
> (ha!): one for selecting items and the other for performing actions on
> them. Overloading the left button with both "actions" and "selections"
> brings to the must hated "double-click" syndrome

We don't (yet) live in a perfect world, and people tend to do what they
did before, so they will flame us to death if we remove double-click ;).

> (have you ever seen users double-clicking a link in the browser?).

Gosh, my mum does it all the time :D.

Let me thank you again for your closer look at the list view.
We're working hard to improve the user experience :).

--
Christian Neumair <chris gnome-de org>