Re: [Usability] Gnome Usability

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 11:26 +0200, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
> Maybe you could add another entry "fonts" in the "places" menu.

That seems like the wrong approach-- the other Places are for
generalized files, as opposed to fonts://, which is very specialized.

I think a better approach would be to look at under what circumstances
the user is going to be thinking about fonts. The most obvious case is
when the user has a TTF file in front of them. If it's in Nautilus,
perhaps we could have a simple extension like what file-roller provides
for archives, to add "Install Font" to the File and Context menus for
TTF (and other compatible font) files.

And since the right click menu isn't the most discoverable, a button in
gnome-font-viewer (and a .desktop file that sets up the default
association!) to install the currently viewed font. This would also
work, e.g. if the user opened an uncompressed font directly from their
web browser.

We could also move the Go To Font Folder button out of details and into
the main font configuration dialog to make it more discoverable. (All
the other detail options are very technical. I've never accessed them
more than a few times, despite being something of a fontophile)

Another, very bluesky thing to think about in the future (For when
pango/fontconfig/freetype is able to autorefresh its internal font list
without a program restart), would be an "Install Font..." button and/or
a drag/drop target in the font selector dialog.