Re: [Usability] spatial nautilus concerns, revisited

Thanks for reading the article. Of course, coming up with a real alternative is a bit harder than coming up with what I hope is constructive criticism...but compiling some ideas sounds like a fun project. For one thing I know there are some interesting projects (I remember one at Sun) examining new ways to do things. I'll post back here when I've got something, maybe in a few weeks, and perhaps it will be of use.

I like pie in the sky ideas - I think they're a good place to start. Sure, you ultimately have to reconcile with reality, but if you restrict yourself from the start you'll probably miss something. Right now I think a complete shift in file management might be a mistake for the mainstream Linux desktop, since it might hinder Linux adoption by Windows users. But by GNOME 4 or 5, that may change. Plus one isn't restricted to a single file manager.

That said, my points about the need for empirical testing hold even if we are to scrap everything and start over. At this point, we have some great tools for gathering data on what works and what doesn't. We can test spatial Nautilus and browser Nautilus side by side. And while we may not keep any of the features we test, the data will help us determine what works for people today. That's very valuable in guiding a redesign.

Thanks again,
--Dave