Re: [Usability] spatial nautilus concerns, revisited

From: Daniel Borgmann, May 12, 2005 5:02 PM
> On 5/12/05, Diego Moya (a.k.a. TuringTest) <turingt gmail com> wrote:
> >
> > > Are you hinting at projects like Beagle & LaunchBox as one
> > > possible future for Gnome file "management"?
> >
> > Actually that's the Next Big Thing in document management.
[....]
> > most information recall is done by associative memory and best
> > accessed through associative retrieval tools (a.k.a. searching by
> > content/properties/metadata/keywords) and navigating by relations
> > (a.k.a. del.icio.us "related tags").
>
> The only scenario under which spatial folders would become totally
> obsolete would be a scenario where documents can't have a physical
> location anymore.
[....]

Don't these two ideas conflict? I thought the central two arguments
against spatial navigation were:

1. We understand files better as their content, not location.
2. The computer enables us to instantly find this content in a
   haystack without having to navigate to any particular place.

IMO, a spatial construct works against these.

--
Steve Hall  [ digitect mindspring com ]