Re: [Usability] How is this done? (use same Entries both for edit and add data to a TreeView)

NOTE: I have not used this program, so I'm not sure if I know how it
is supposed to work...

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 12:03:40 +0200, Leif <leif zuu gmail com> wrote:
> Kalle Vahlman wrote:
> > Perhaps you could have the list behave like that on irksu, and have
> > the right side of the screen to show related information (synonyms)
> > when the user selects an item. This would remove the duplication of
> > information on the screen (the words), and so save some screen space.
> > It could make it a little confusing, too.
> That might make sense, if it is doable without increase the amount of
> clicks / key presses to input new data. As that will be the primary task.

To add a new word:
- click "Add"
- input word
- click on the translation part (keys: tab, enter?)
- input translation

To add synonyme (see below):
- select word (right side updates)
- click add button
- input synonyme
(- click on translation part
- input synonyme translation)

Better model for the stuff in parentheses would be that the synonyme
should not have to be translated there, but would instead be added to
the word list and just be "linked" to the original word.

> Ive made a fast layout of what I think you meant in glade:
> http://www.zuu.info/test/file/learnwords_primary_window_variant.png

For the left side, yes. For the right side, perhaps a title like
"Synonymes for X" would be approperiate so you would not get confused
about what word it is. And propably disable the widgets when no word
is selected.

> > The synonyms could even be in a GtkCellRendererCombo, but that could
> > be even more confusing (how do you add new items?) and undiscoverable.
> >
> Do you mean an editable cell in a list? I don't know, but I fear that
> that will increase the amount of key presses to add a glossary entry.

I meant that the right-side list would be in a combo box where you can
edit the active item, but it really is too confusing to be usable.

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi