[Usability] How is this done? (use same Entries both for edit and add data to a TreeView)

Hi,

While working on my project learn words[1] i spotted a specific problem with UI design that I think other programs also have spotted, but I couldn't remember any existing program with the same dilemma. So thats why I'm asking here.

[1] http://www.zuu.info/goto.php?page=learnwords

** The dialog **
To easier describe the dilemma I have taken two screen shots of the dialog, the first one[2] is just the dialog. The second image[3] is the same dialog, but here a user (I) have added two rows in the list, and selected the later one.

[2] www.zuu.info/test/file/learnwords_primary_window_empty.png
[3] www.zuu.info/test/file/learnwords_primary_window_not_empty.png

The entries are ordered in a table that expands, and shrinks as necessary so that there is always one empty row in the end. The smallest size will very likely change from one to two rows, as I guess that will be clearer to the user, and the table will never be resized if you don't add any synonyms.

** The functionality requirements **
Users should be able to
	* Add new glossary entry. (a single row in the list to the left)
	* Edit existing entries.
	* Remove existing glossary entries.
* View a glossary item with all its synonyms. (Synonyms are not shown in the list by default, to save screen space.)

** The dilemma **
How to allow these actions to be preformed efficient, and in a way so that users understands how to to without consulting the manual.

Some questions?
* Should you first press add to add an empty entry (the entries will be cleared) and then input your data.
	* Or should you first input your data and then press on Add.
* But what if the entries are filled with lots of stuff, that you first have to erase? * When you click on a row in the treeview the table will be resized and the entries will be filled with the data. To modify the data should you just change it or, do you need to press some button to apply your changes?

** A possible solution **
x At start (when creating a new book):

	* word list (to the left) contains one empty, selected item.

x User do:

	* Type in stuff in the entries.
	* When a entry lost focus word list is updated.
	* When user clicks on Add:
        	+ a new empty item is created in the word list.
	        + the new item is selected.
        	+ the table is cleared and reseted.
	        + the top left entry in the table get focus.

** Other solutions? **
Does there exist an way to do this that is done in many other applications?

** Ending **
I am thanks full for any feedback.

Greetings,
Leif Linse