Re: [Usability] end-user whines about 2.10

On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 22:14, Randy Bush wrote:

>   o the wireless applet seems to have changed to some sort of
>     useless flashing pixmap of a screen.  where did the signal
>     strength meter, an ever so useful device, go?

The signal strength indicator is now only available via that 'useless
flashing pixmap' applet.  (Shipping multiple applets to give information
about the same network device was rather a wasted duplication of
effort.)

>     the a purple icon next to the flashing monitors in the
>     network monitor signal strength is not really readable

Indeed, the signal strength icons aren't being themed to match your
apparently very green theme :)  The icons *are* actually themable though
IIRC, I just don't think any themes actually bother yet.  You could
create your own themed icons if it's a problem, or hassle your theme's
author to fix it.

>     <http://rip.psg.com/~randy/signal.jpg> where i can not see
>     how it tells me the strength, according to whoppens when i
>     click it, is 66%.

Well, from the screenshot it seems to be showing three bars out of a
possible four, which suggests 'reasonably strong' to me.  It's not more
precise than that because there are few situations where most users need
more than a rough indication, and for those situations, there's the
properties dialog.  The exact strength was also supposed to be shown in
the applet's tooltip (according to the original UI spec), but I guess
Mark never got around to that :)

>     and how to get rid of those silly monitors?  also, the
>     preferences/configure option seems not to work, "The
>     interface does not exist," when indeed ath0 does and shows on
>     those lovely flashing monitors.

Currently not a preference, but again they are themable so I suppose you
could just replace them with blank icons in your theme if you never want
to see them.  You should file an enhancement request in bugzilla to make
this a preference, I guess.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Group