Re: [Usability] Compress Files feature directly from Properties options

On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 12:33 +0000, Calum Benson wrote:
> On 10 Mar 2005, at 11:08, Karim Nassar wrote:
>
> > Perhaps we need to wait for the the Calum-Havoc-Alan H. to weigh in, or
> > at least fail to frown upon the suggestion. ;-)
>
> FWIW I agree with you... although like John, I'd personally be happy
> enough to see a simple dialog that let you type in a filename and
> select an archive type, rather than necessarily having a full Save
> dialog.

I've never thought of changing the way it works, since it works just
fine for me.
However, you could use the gimp save-dialog which works with two
expanders, one for the filetype and one for the path. The standard path
would be the current directory, but you could easily change it, by
expanding and choosing a different path, the standard filetype would be
"by extension" but you can change it.
This combines the advantages of a simple and small dialogue with those
of a save dialogue. I think it's the way to go -- and yes, this is a
full save dialogue, since that is the new gtk standard dialogue isn't
it?
@ John: you probably just don't have the right packages to create rars
and zips.

Take care!