Re: [Usability] Compress Files feature directly from Properties options

Karim Nassar wrote:
On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 10:55 +0100, John Keller wrote:

As far as archiving to the current folder, I think that's a good idea. We're in a graphical environment, put the file where the user can find it and *then* move it to another place if they'd like. Otherwise, it's too much like a wizard.

I am thinking "save dialog" rather than wizard.

Ah, I didn't think of it that way. I like the compactness of the current box, though I'd also be interested in trying out a version with the save-as dialog.

My only caveat would be that it seems to me like a full-blown save-as dialog duplicates the file manager to an extent. That seems redundant, considering that the user is already in the context of the file manager. (That's maybe a better way of expressing what I was trying to say earlier.)

As for archive types, I personally don't like the idea of adding more menu items. I *would* like a better, discoverable way to select archive format (pull-down menu in the dialog?). And I'd definitely like for it to support all archive types that File Roller does (.rar, .zip, ...).

I am not suggesting menu items either. I think that Edit->create archive
and the right-click feature are sufficient

I'd love to make the feature request, but I'm not sure what we should be asking for here. ... <snip> ... What do you think?

<quoting from suggested bug report in my head>

Nautilus has an undiscoverable method for creating non-tar.gz archives.
We request that upon either right-click(after making selection)->Create
Archive or from the menu Edit->Create Archive, the user is presented
with a save dialog similar to Gedit's, excepting that the "Character
Coding" drop down would be replaced with an "Archive Type" drop down,
based on capabilities of File Roller.

</quote>

I think that's a great basis for a request, though as I say I have some reservations about a full-blown save-as dialog box.

I am still unclear who is gonnna cut-n-paste that in a bug report.
Perhaps we need to wait for the the Calum-Havoc-Alan H. to weigh in, or
at least fail to frown upon the suggestion. ;-)

Maybe so. I don't know the etiquette for how much discussion should be done on a list versus how much should be done within the context of bugzilla.

- John