Re: [Usability] Compress Files feature directly from Properties options

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Paulo Aboim Pinto wrote:

> Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 20:38:27 +0000
> From: Paulo Aboim Pinto <esqueleto tusofona com>
> To: usability gnome org
> Subject: [Usability] Compress Files feature directly from Properties
>     options
>
> Hello
>
> I'm trying to compress files in a easy way.
> Why the Nautilus does not detect the compress tools like gzip, rar, tar,
> zip, etc., and put available in the property options (left button of the
> mouse).

The context menu in Windows gets horribly cluttered very quickly.

I do not how exactly but I have seen the context menu setup to include a
Compress option and an Extract Here option.  If you ask nicely on the
file-roller list they might tell you how to do this, or possibly search
the web for Nautilus scripts/add ons.  (But I'm hoping someone on this
list will be able to make a more specific suggestion).

> With this feature we can compress a file and create one with the same
> name... but compressed.
> Maybe we can select many files and create a compress  file with all.
>
> This will be a improvement in usability in Gnome.

I'm not sure if this is something people would necessarily want to add in
by default but thanks for taking the time to provide feedback and make the
suggestion.  I would suggest you file a report in bugzilla to keep track
of this idea but I am not sure where the best place to put it would be,
probably file it against nautilus (or maybe file-roller).

Sincerely

Alan Horkan