Re: [Usability] how to make usability test?

> It'd be difficult to do this for all of gnome, considering the
> disgustingly large number of gnome modules.

Very true...

> At the very least, one could come up with general guidelines to conduct
> a study. Concerning things like not helping the user, kinds of scenarios
> to present, etc.

I don't think we need to create our own rules and guidelines as there
are already such guidelines available. But making these publically
avaiilable and in some cases more gnome specific could be very helpful.

> I thought about this, and at first only a few things came to my mind,
> bugzilla-like-thing...noo...wiki? nooo.... Then it hit me. A survey
> interface. No use re-inventing the wheel here, right?

This is a great idea! But, I think it doesn't address things like
ethnographic studies and many observational studies. The problem in both
scenarios is the amount data collected and how to process it in a way
that allows retrieval of information relevent to the questions being
asked. I know a lot of people won't be running large scale research
projects on Gnome usability but it would be useful to have a way for
hackers to test their software on a person and record the results in a
useful way. This kind of testing is very common in things like web
development where it is simple to go to a cafe and have a few people
give comments on a design. There is no reason the Gnome community
couldn't have a central place for similar tests that would create an
easy way to look through all the data people gather.

In any case, I think this is a great idea and will be of huge use to the
gnome and free software community in general.

Eric