Re: [Usability] how to make usability test?

On Mon, 2005-06-27 at 20:28 +0200, Thilo Pfennig wrote:
> I would like to use a HOWTO in order to make some own private usability
> studies. It would be nice if somebody could make a HOWTO that all GNOME
> users could use to reproduce. This HOWTO should be translated in many
> languages ans regulary updated for newer GNOME versions (many tests
> should make no sense in the future).

It'd be difficult to do this for all of gnome, considering the
disgustingly large number of gnome modules.

At the very least, one could come up with general guidelines to conduct
a study. Concerning things like not helping the user, kinds of scenarios
to present, etc.

> Then it would be nice if one could input results somewhere. This could
> result in a real huge usbality test. It would not be perfectly
> scientific, but an interesting data bases. And such a test could be made
> after every new release.

I thought about this, and at first only a few things came to my mind,
bugzilla-like-thing...noo...wiki? nooo.... Then it hit me. A survey
interface. No use re-inventing the wheel here, right?

http://phpesp.sourceforge.net/

Would be near perfect for the task.

It could be run on a per-focus basis, like targeting specific
applications or tasks. Respondent control (public/private surveys) would
allow large-scale public surveys, or private ones (like usability beta
testers).

Though there would be a gap when a single person wants to report their
own study, though someone so inclined probably has the resources to do
that on their own.

> This could help programers or small companies to make their own studies
> and direct feedback. Also one should encourage GNOMErs to do this.
> Thilo

This would probably make it a lot easier to figure out what things need
to be re-examined first, or find out what people have the most trouble
with too.