Re: [Usability] Tabs

Lars E. Pettersson wrote:
> I find an X for each tab most confusing. When I tried out Epiphany I
> happened to close the wrong tab several times. With one X, acting on the
> current tab displayed, you have a better control on what is going on. If
> you click the X, you know exactly what tab will be removed, the one you
> are looking at.

But if you're clicking the X, you're looking at the X, and it *isn't on*
a tab. So I don't think it's true to say that it gets rid of "the one
you are looking at". It's the equivalent of Metacity putting the close
button for the current window in the Gnome panel instead of in the
window frame.

As far as I know, the Firefox model was chosen more to maximize space
(which it does) than to make things obvious (which it doesn't). There's
also the problem of Firefox's primary market being Windows XP: a rowful
of bright red Windows-XP-style close buttons would look rather ugly.
(Safari gets around the same problem by making its tab-close buttons
look much flatter and more subdued than its window-close buttons.)

--
Matthew Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/