Re: [Usability] Default Panel Layout

The terminal is an important aspect of the Unix/Linux
experience/culture. I think downplaying it's importance is a little
shortsighted, especially since it is the most expressive and powerful
interface for Unix and Unix-like environments yet. Wake me up when a
user can create multiple directories simultaneously using a GUI.

We should be encouraging users to learn and use the terminal. It is
especially useful when troubleshooting user problems over a network,
and for several tasks, it is exceedingly efficient as compared to the
best designed GUI. It is also worth knowing that most users are not
going to remain n00bs for the rest of their lives. Most of them evolve
to be very competent users and for such users the terminal may well be
suitable.

I know I'll be largely ignored because of my controversial stance, but
the terminal is really a feature we want exposed to the user as early
as possible and it should neither be hidden or removed. Yes, I know it
is in vogue to label the terminal anathema, but I think we are
yielding to societal pressures rather than the main issues with
command driven applications, which is poorly designed interfaces.