Re: Screenshot dialog not needed? (Was: Re: [Usability] screenshot & recording desktop video)

On 14 Jun 2005, at 20:31, Markus Bertheau wrote:

Why do we need that dialog there btw? Can't we just save the screen shot
on the desktop and get rid of the dialog completely?

Sounds like a reasonable request (module the whole 'add video features' discussion)-- that's what the OSX screenshot keyboard shortcuts do. Although the first time I used theirs, I did wonder where my screenshot had gone because I didn't see it appear on my desktop, so I kept taking more until I realised what was happening :)

I have to say I do find the preview in the GNOME popup quite reassuring though (particularly in the days when capturing a window randomly used to capture the whole screen instead). Nowadays it would probably just be better integrated into a standard file chooser dialog though, rather than carrying on with a custom dialog that's effectively doing exactly the same job.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Team