Re: Screenshot dialog not needed? (Was: Re: [Usability] screenshot & recording desktop video)

Calum Benson wrote:
On 14 Jun 2005, at 20:31, Markus Bertheau wrote:
Why do we need that dialog there btw? Can't we just save the screen  shot
on the desktop and get rid of the dialog completely?

I have to say I do find the preview in the GNOME popup quite reassuring though (particularly in the days when capturing a window randomly used to capture the whole screen instead). Nowadays it would probably just be better integrated into a standard file chooser dialog though, rather than carrying on with a custom dialog that's effectively doing exactly the same job.

I've always found the Windows and Mac screenshot methods confusing. Neither provide any visual feedback (unless you happen to be able to see the desktop on the Mac when the icon appears). The Mac does play a "snapshot" sound, which helps a bit.

The visual feedback of the screenshot dialog has always been a point of pride about the Gnome desktop for me. I've even bragged about it on my weblog! [1] Even though it requires a dialog and some user interaction - I think it's worth it to show the user (visually, with the preview image, which is great) what happened.

Cheers,
Steven Garrity
[1] http://actsofvolition.com/archives/2004/february/gettingtoknow