Re: [Usability] changing view with key strokes.

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Thilo Pfennig wrote:

> Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:39:11 +0200
> From: Thilo Pfennig <tp alternativ net>
> To: usability gnome org
> Subject: [Usability] changing view with key strokes.
>
> I just cam across the fact that the shortcuts for inreasing and
> decreasing the view of a page are different in Evolution and Epiphany.
> Maybe in more applications?
>

> Evolution:
> Strg+8, Strg+9
>
> Epiphany,Evince,gnome-terminal, Abiword (no hint in menu):
> Strg+-, Strg++

I figure Strg must be (German?) for Ctrl/Control (sorry this is something
I really should know already.)

In applications like Abiword and OpenOffice the distinction between
Zooming and Increasing Font Size matters so I feel I should point out that
some of these application Zoom the View and others increase their text
size (something the Opera Web Browser has done for years and is long
overdue to be emulated).  And of course in some applications this
distinction is irrelevant.

Any other inconsistencies sound like applications not following the HIG
yet ...

> Openoffice.org:
> no keystrokes?

... or deciding this wasn't something appropriate for their application
but perhaps we can encourage them to reconsider.

> In gedit the text size can only be controlled via "settings". I donät
> know why, because I think gedit often gets used as a text viewer.

Having standard Zoom in and Zoom Out in Gedit would be interesting but
they probably decided this did not deserve a menu item as it was not a
setting that should need to get changed very often (and gedit follows your
System font settings).

Even if the Gedit developers decide it is not a good idea to have Zoom
menu items it might be nice if Gedit could find a way to make something
happen when users like yourself hit Control + and Control - and expect
something to happen.  If you suggest this to them please let us know if
they are willing to consider the suggestion.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/