Re: [Usability] nautilus, panel, and metacity not acting as if the desktop was a single entity

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 02:12 +1200, Matthew Thomas wrote:

> That's a bit ironic, since Konfabulator, gdesklets, and the Dashboard
> are petri dishes for the development of objects that share many similar
> behaviors but also some arbitrarily different ones. (Surprise! The
> Dashboard Calculator widget has behavior inconsistent with the
> non-Dashboard Calculator app.

Heh... yes, sad but true.  I'm not sure how much of that is down to the
limitation of the technology used to implement them, and how much is
just down to the desktop doohickey developers thinking their way is
kewler.

Certainly in my desktop==panel vision, it would ideally be exactly the
same applet code you were running, whether it was on the desktop or the
panel, since the desktop would really just be a panel that wasn't on top
all the time.  (A useful side-effect of which would presumably be the
ability to lay things out properly in a multi-row fashion on your real
panels too, rather than maintaining the remarkable 'the bigger you make
them, the less stuff you can actually put on them' property they have
today...)

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Group