Re: Workspaces [Re: [Usability] nautilus, panel, and metacity not acting as if the desktop was a single entity]

> Going a little futher offtopic (like everyone else) I want to point out
> that I *never* use workspaces.  At this stage it has nearly become a
> matter of usability principles.  As far as I am concerned you have gone
> beyond the ordinary user when you start using Workspaces and you are in
> power user territority.  Power users need usability work too but their
> requirements tend more towards efficiency and flexibility than quick,
> easy, and memorable, which more oridinary users need.

I think a good way to categorize power users are those who _want_ to
learn how to use a system or application. I rarely use workspaces myself
but it is simply b/c I have found how to integrate them into my workflow
where they make me more efficient.

> I feel workspaces compensate for, distract from and otherwise disguise
> bigger problems.  If you have so many windows open that you feel
> workspaces are necessary then I must start asking questions like are more
> batch processing and automation tools needed?.  I would be asking if
> better window management is needed for certain applications.  I would be
> wondering if better application integration and interoperability would
> save you from needing so many different tools left open.  I would ask if
> startup time could be improved (and if applications could better remember
> hw they were arranged before you closed them) so you wouldn't feel
> compelled to leave applications open all the time.
>

>From what I have seen regarding use of workspaces by power users, it
seems that the majority use them for "grouping" applications. I think a
better task switcher could be very helpful regarding this aspect. Adding
a grouping feature might also be good. BTW this does not mean grouping
application windows but rather grouping things according to what how the
user wants them to be grouped. For example, many people use workspaces
to keep their web browser, mail, im, irc separate from their code. They
are simply grouping their applications to keep them better organized so
they can do more at the same time.

A good place to experiment is the window list applet since it is rarely
used compared to the task bar. Adding a small screen shot and grouping
by application could be a good start towards making it more useful. On a
bit of a side note, there could also be quite a few slick graphical
aspects. I am not a fan of raising the bar for hardware but it might be
a nice place to show off a little for those with the machine for it.

With that said I made an ultra quick and ugly mock up just to give an
idea of what I was thinking about. *WARNING* Very very bad mock up! So
take this with a whole salt shaker ;)

http://primates.ximian.com/~elarson/task_switcher/quick_task_list.png

The big blue firefox thing would be if you moused over that item. Yes it
is a little much but it is just an idea :)

One thing to consider is that by making the task switcher a bit more
informational and mapping the organizational aspects, a user might be
able to see how it can be useful. There is no reason workspaces and
other power user type things cannot be exposed to more traditional users
in a way where they may see the value in them. After all, there is no
reason to keep these power user skills out of the hands of the masses.

Anyway, just a few ideas.

Eric